News

Philip Seymour Hoffman died of mix of drugs

Philip Seymour Hoffman died of mix of drugs

PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN: The actor died of a combination of illegal drugs. Photo: Associated Press

(NEW YORK) – The New York City coroner on Friday announced the results of the autopsy performed on late actor Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The 46-year-old died on Feb. 2. His official cause of death was acute drug intoxication, including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine, according to Julie Bolcer, spokeswoman for the Medical Examiner’s Office.

It has been ruled an accidental overdose.

Hoffman was found dead in his apartment with a syringe in his arm. He had previously battled drug addition but had been clean for more than two decades.

PHOTOS: 2014 Notable Deaths | WATCH: Essential Philip Seymour Hoffman films

Hoffman, an Academy Award winner for his role in the 2005 biographical film “Capote,” was considered one of the most gifted stage and film actors of his generation.

On the big screen Hoffman appeared in blockbusters such as “The Hunger Games” series and also garnered best supporting actor Oscar nominations for “The Master,” “Doubt” and “Charlie Wilson’s War.”

Recent Headlines

in Music

Original AC/DC frontman to write tell-all

Fresh
18-overlay3

Dave Evans, who was eventually replaced by Bon Scott, is planning a book about his time in the music business.

in Sports

After death of 9-year-old, no more bat boys and girls

13-overlay2

The National Baseball Congress is suspending the use of bat boys and girls during its World Series in Kansas following the death of a 9-year-old boy who was hit by a bat.

in Sports

WATCH: WWE salutes the late ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper

12-overlay1

One of the most iconic wrestlers in the history of the WWE died last week at the age of 61.

in Sports

Stanley Cup winner Schneider new Hall of Famer

nhl

Stanley Cup winner Mathieu Schneider is among four new inductees to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

in Sports

Prosecutors: Hernandez tipster had sex ties with ex-NFL star

aaronhernandez

Massachusetts prosecutors said on Monday that an anonymous caller, who told lawyers for former NFL star Aaron Hernandez that one of the jurors who found him guilty of murder should have been disqualified, had a sexual relationship with the athlete.