News

Lakers’ Nash shut down for season

Lakers’ Nash shut down for season

OUT FOR THE SEASON: Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash (10) drives against Houston Rockets center Omer Asik (3) and point guard Patrick Beverley (2) during the second half at Toyota Center. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash has been officially ruled out for the rest of the season, according to a report on the National Basketball Association’s website on Thursday.

The two-time NBA Most Valuable Player played in 10 of the struggling Lakers’ 64 games this season because of a nerve problem in his back.

Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni closed the door on any chance of the 40-year-old Canadian returning for the last 18 games of what has been a disappointing season for the storied franchise.

“He’s not going to play,” said D’Antoni, whose Lakers are in second-last place in the 15-team Western Conference with a 22-42 record.

Nash’s last game was in early February when he played nearly 17 minutes against the Utah Jazz before sitting out the second half. He had two points and two assists in the game.

The point guard joined the Lakers ahead of the 2012-13 NBA season, part of a core group that was being counted on to return the franchise to its previous glory.

The news comes one day after the Lakers said hobbled five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant was being shut down for the season.

(Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

After death of 9-year-old, no more bat boys and girls

13-overlay2

The National Baseball Congress is suspending the use of bat boys and girls during its World Series in Kansas following the death of a 9-year-old boy who was hit by a bat.

in Sports

WATCH: WWE salutes the late ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper

12-overlay1

One of the most iconic wrestlers in the history of the WWE died last week at the age of 61.

in Sports

Stanley Cup winner Schneider new Hall of Famer

nhl

Stanley Cup winner Mathieu Schneider is among four new inductees to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

in Sports

Prosecutors: Hernandez tipster had sex ties with ex-NFL star

aaronhernandez

Massachusetts prosecutors said on Monday that an anonymous caller, who told lawyers for former NFL star Aaron Hernandez that one of the jurors who found him guilty of murder should have been disqualified, had a sexual relationship with the athlete.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: When a giant crane lands on your house

24-overlay2

Two construction cranes and a portion of a bridge being replaced in the Netherlands came crashing down, landing on nearby homes.