News

John Lennon’s killer fights for freedom

John Lennon’s killer fights for freedom

MARK DAVID CHAPMAN: Mark David Chapman is shown as a member of a YMCA group at Fort Chaffee, Ark., in 1975. Chapman was convicted of shooting former Beatle John Lennon in New York City on Dec. 8, 1980. Photo: Associated Press

John Lennon’s killer Mark David Chapman is awaiting a decision over whether he will finally be freed from prison after his eighth parole case this week.

Chapman was sentenced to 20-years-to-life behind bars for gunning down the Beatles legend outside his New York City home in December, 1980.

He has been eligible for parole since 2000 but has seen seven previous applications turned down due to the gravity of his offense and the ongoing public outrage over the murder.

His parole application went back before the New York state’s review board this week, but Lennon’s widow Yoko Ono has already written a letter to the officials laying out her objections and urging them to keep Chapman locked up.

Chapman, 59, will find out his fate in the coming days, according to the New York Daily News. If he is denied parole, he will have to wait another two years for his next review.

Recent Headlines

in Music

Original AC/DC frontman to write tell-all

18-overlay3

Dave Evans, who was eventually replaced by Bon Scott, is planning a book about his time in the music business.

in Sports

After death of 9-year-old, no more bat boys and girls

13-overlay2

The National Baseball Congress is suspending the use of bat boys and girls during its World Series in Kansas following the death of a 9-year-old boy who was hit by a bat.

in Sports

WATCH: WWE salutes the late ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper

12-overlay1

One of the most iconic wrestlers in the history of the WWE died last week at the age of 61.

in Sports

Stanley Cup winner Schneider new Hall of Famer

nhl

Stanley Cup winner Mathieu Schneider is among four new inductees to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

in Sports

Prosecutors: Hernandez tipster had sex ties with ex-NFL star

aaronhernandez

Massachusetts prosecutors said on Monday that an anonymous caller, who told lawyers for former NFL star Aaron Hernandez that one of the jurors who found him guilty of murder should have been disqualified, had a sexual relationship with the athlete.